Pandemic Library, Episode 6: Favorite Places

In an "Ask A Librarian" question, Ivan asked, "What is your favorite place (BESIDES MONTANA)? Montana is certainly my favorite place, as Ivan must have figured out. Besides Montana, my favorite places are mostly in Colorado, where I grew up.

It was hard to pick just one spot. Rocky Mountain National Park would be an obvious choice, as would the mountains and valleys in and around Gunnison, Crested Butte, the Collegiate Peaks, the Sangre de Cristo Range, the Poudre River Canyon, and so forth. So much spectacular scenery to choose from. . .

But I kept coming back to the mountains of home, west of Denver, in the Evergreen area. It isn't the Colorado high country, and our little valley won't make it on picture postcards in tourist towns. Even so, it is the place in which I grew up. And where we grow up, as the writer Scott Russell Sanders writes, shapes us in deep and profound ways, for better or worse.

We moved to Evergreen in early January of 1972, when I was in fifth grade. During the next several years, I explored the surrounding hills and got to know them in all seasons. When I went off to college, I missed that valley as much as I missed my family; in fact, the two seemed interwoven.

Ivan, I don't know if this answers your question, but your question did inspire a video log entry. Look for the video at Pandemic Library, Episode 6.

Comments

  1. what is your favorite animal and candy. my favorite animal is the penguin it will never fly though.....it is very disapionting. my favorite candy is charleston chew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On a vaguely related note, do scientists like mutants?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ask a Naturalist: Part 1

Ask a Librarian: Answers You Won't Get From Google: Science Friday

Pandemic Librarian Gets Back to Nature